Lost & Found Policy
Wicomico Public Library is not responsible for the security of personal items brought into any library facility. The library is not responsible for theft or damage to vehicles, bicycles or personal property while on the premises. Unclaimed items are managed in accordance with the following guidelines:
• If the owner of a lost and found item satisfactorily identifies the lost item, the item will be returned.
• Perishable items such as food, baby bottles, beverage containers and personal care items will be disposed of immediately.
• Lost and Found items will be dated and stored for a period of fourteen (14) days. Reasonable attempts will be made to contact the owners (to the extent ownership is known) to reclaim their lost items. Items not claimed within fourteen (14) days become Library property. Unclaimed items will then be donated to charity or discarded.
• Certain types of property including unclaimed identification documents, driver’s licenses, credit cards, wallets, laptops and cell phones will be forwarded to the appropriate law enforcement officials by close of the business day.
• Flash drives left in the library will be held for 14 days. Due to patron privacy library staff will not access data saved on flash drives to determine ownership. After 14 days, flash drives will be wiped and discarded.
• Documents left in library copy machines, scanners, and printers will be kept for 24 hours then shredded.
• After fourteen (14) days unclaimed books will be given to the Friends of Wicomico Public Library for use in the bi-annual book sale or book store.
Approved by the Library Board of Trustees 6/16/2020