Due to an emergency Centre Branch will be closed indefinitely.
Downtown and Pittsville branches are open by appointment only to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
We will continue to accept your returns at book drops at Downtown and Pittsville branches.
Books To Go will continue Tuesday - Saturday.
Unfortunately we are unable to accept book donations at this time.
Click here for more information & resources.
Click here for Phase 3 FAQ.
Project READ Coordinator - Full Time
REPORT TO: Downtown Branch Manager / Executive Director
Job Summary: To manage all aspects of the adult literacy program including curriculum development, recruitment and teaching. The Program Coordinator will provide literacy and reading assistance for the adult citizens of Wicomico County to help them reach their educational and career goals. The Program Coordinator will support all library programs that promote literacy for library patrons and the community.
- Plays key role in program development, curriculum development and selection, and overall structure of project
- Recruits, supervises, and trains volunteers as tutors to assist students in learning literacy skills in the prescribed course.
- Provides informal instruction in use of Library resources for literacy growth. This is the key individual in promoting this program to potential volunteers, students and possible community partners.
- Works closely with area agencies that provide services to county citizens in order to recruit and get referrals for program participants.
- Prepares reports and statistics to be shared with Library Board, Administration and other invested parties.
- Serves as liaison with local organizations that provide curriculum or program support for this work.
- Works closely with all departments within the library to ensure support for the adult literacy program
- Vetting and training of program volunteers
- Other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to use and teach use of print and electronic resources, with a specialty of teaching reading both to students and to volunteer tutors. Ability to work effectively with a diverse population; ability to work independently, as part of a team, and without direct supervision; excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to solve problems, negotiate situations and issues, and make independent judgments and decisions. Experience in developing, managing, and maintaining a budget.
Supervisory responsibility, if any: Supervises volunteers and coordinates with library staff and outside partners
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in education (an emphasis on reading preferred.)
- Experience teaching reading or working as a reading intervention specialist
- Experience and a comfort level working with adults with learning disabilities, mental health issues and physical challenges.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Positions based at assigned library locations, main office at the Downtown Library. Evening and weekend hours may be required. Light physical effort in the handling of light materials or boxes up to 30 pounds. Ability to travel locally, driver’s license required.
Interested parties should attach a cover letter, resume application (found on our website) and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application packets can be sent to Wicomico Public Library, Attention Personnel, 122 S. Division Street, Salisbury, MD 21801
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.