Branch Manager II - Full Time (Downtown)
Reports to: Executive Director
Job Summary: Under the general supervision of the Executive Director, manages the day to day operation of a large library branch. Provides direct supervision to the Adult Services Manager, Circulation Manager, Job Search Center Coordinator, Project READ Coordinator, security staff, and Youth Services Manager. Responsible for the overall operation of the branch including: public service, building maintenance and safety, staff and volunteer supervision, collection development and implementation. Works closely with library administration and branch managers to develop programs and services to meet the needs of the community.
1. Responsible for the day to day operation of a large library branch.
2. Directly or indirectly manages all branch staff and volunteers, including hiring, training, scheduling, coaching and evaluating employees.
3. Reports building and maintenance issues to the Head Administrator and Maintenance Supervisor.
4. Provides a high level of customer service and resolves customer concerns.
5. Participates in the development of library policies and procedures both system wide and within the branch.
6. Works with the Program and Events Coordinator to schedule programs and events for the branch that meet the needs of the community.
7. Completes accident and security reports in accordance to library procedure.
8. Supervises the security staff and keeps security staff informed of library incidents.
9. Coordinates collection development responsibilities within the branch.
10. Reconciles and prepares funds for deposit.
11. Collects various statistics for the branch.
12. Generates reports upon request.
13. Acts as Librarian in Charge for the system in the absence of the Executive Director and Head Administrator.
14. Professionally represents the library in the community and during professional meetings.
15. Participates in regular, ongoing professional development.
16. Performs other duties assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of established library practices and procedures, including staff, management and customer service.
Ability to model and promote organizational values within the library and as a representative of the organization in the community.
Ability to work well with the public.
Ability to effectively supervise staff and volunteers, delegate responsibility, communicate with staff, maintain staff morale, and solve problems.
Initiative to use independent judgment to develop and implement ideas.
Ability to operate office equipment and resources, including but not limited to: Microsoft Office; Polaris; electronic resources; e-mail, internet, security cameras, fax machine, phone and computer.
Availability to work evenings, weekends, and other modified schedules to meet the needs of the library.
Education and Experience:
MLS from an accredited institution preferred
Bachelor’s degree is required
Three or more years of related professional library experience
Supervisory experience desirable
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Position based in Main Library. Ability to reach, bend, lift up to 30 pounds in non-strenuous work positions and/or continual standing or walking at least 90 percent of the time
The above job description is not intended as, nor should be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of this job.
Interested parties should attach a cover letter, a complete resume and at least three references in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Application packets can be sent to Wicomico Public Library
Attn: Cheryl Nardiello, 122 S. Division Street Salisbury, MD 21801
Wicomico Public Library – an Equal Opportunity Employer