All Branches & Bookmobile are CLOSED until further notice, due to COVID-19 health concerns.
This includes meeting rooms and future meeting room reservations.
Please NO Book drops or donations, and fines are waived during this time. Thank you!
Click here for more information & resources
Branch Assistant - Centre Branch - Part Time
Location: Centre Branch of Wicomico Public Libraries, located in the Centre at Salisbury mall, near Boscov’s. Part time – 20 hours per week includes occasional night and weekend work.
This position requires the ability to work with the public, assist Library visitors with computer and library services, participates in planning and implementing classes, especially for adults, and public information activities.
The successful candidate will have a high school diploma, post high school or Bachelor’s Degree is desired. They will demonstrate a desire to serve the community, an ability to multitask, and the capability of working independently as well as part of a team.
This is a part-time position.
Interested parties should attach a cover letter, a complete resume and at least three references in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application packets can be sent to Wicomico Public Library, Attention Personnel, 122 S Division St. Salisbury, MD 21801
Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found, however applications received by November 16, 2018 will receive first priority. Wicomico Public Libraries - an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TITLE: Branch Assistant
FLSA: Part time (20 hours)
REPORTS TO: Centre Branch Manager
Job Summary: Attends to customer questions and requests and inquiries in person, over the phone or online; provide information regarding all library materials in addition to computers. Process library materials in and out of the library including Inter-Library Loan; maintain collection of materials; assist with coordinating special community programming; assist with developing and distributing informational and public relations material; performs other duties as assigned.
1. Assist customers with answering questions and assisting with requests.
2. Maintain a professional, friendly and welcoming library environment.
3. Assists with collection development, shelf reading and weeding.
4. Develops and distributes marketing and informational materials.
5. Checks materials in and out.
6. Fulfill customer hold requests, process library card registrations, identify overdue materials, and collect appropriate fines.
7. Assists at circulation desk as needed.
8. Reserve and assigns computers to customers and teach basic computer skills.
9. Assist with creating and administering library programs and events for customers.
10. Records daily library statistics.
11. Answer phone and perform clerical duties as needed.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Preferred knowledge of established library and reference practices and procedures;
2. Ability to multi-task and provide excellent customer service;
3. Ability to complete tasks in an efficient and timely manner;
4. Strong communication, interpersonal skills, decision-making and problem-solving skills;
5. Ability to operate relevant computer systems including hardware and software, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Circulation Systems, electronic databases, e-mail and internet navigation in addition to other office equipment and security systems.
Education and Experience:
1. Bachelor’s degree is desired. High School Diploma/GED required.
2. Six months to one year of experience in customer service;
3. Or equivalent combination of technical training, and related experience.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Position based at a branch, may work without a supervisor on site; requires travel between Centre Branch, Pittsville Branch, and Downtown Library; requires some evening and weekend hours; ability to lift @ 20 pounds (moving monitors and computer equipment)
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.